View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 11:54 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Snow, I would hope so, but I have heard the same thing for years. Maybe it does change with the CU acquisition, but I am on the other end of that spectrum. As I have said on other posts, if I don't see any enhancements or improvements at SGC in the next 6 months, I will be concerned.
I think the primary barrier to SGC's inability to produce a working registry has been that they simply lacked the technical talent necessary to get it done. It's a massive investment. They need to upgrade their data warehouse, clean up old messy data, and build new tools and infrastructure on the front end. It's a multi-million dollar up-front investment in addition to the ongoing costs associated with hiring developers and IT workers that are capable of managing and maintaining the servers and building out customer-facing tools.

Bringing Collectors into the picture solves most of these problems for them. Sure, Collectors would have to allocate resources, but at least they already have the data warehouse and the talent. To me, this is a no-brainer next step from a business perspective. It will also be very telling about Collectors' true incentives for buying SGC. If they do indeed intend to maintain both brands going forward, then I would fully expect to see a working registry as one of their first improvements. If, however, we fail to see them making any investments/promises toward that goal, then I would assume they lied about their true intentions and that they actually did purchase SGC with the goal of eventually phasing them out (which I highly doubt is the case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Snow, curious on your SGC pickups. Modern? Vintage? And hundred dollars cards or thousand dollar cards?

I have also picked up some cheaper SGC cards that I think are undervalued.
All vintage cards, but that's mainly because I still think the modern market is unstable and over-valued. Most are between the $500 to $10k range.