View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Pup6913

Default Make it a Variation

With a new discussion about a possible New T206 variation I have to wonder where the lines of a true variation are. What makes a card a Variation? Is it just a printing mistake like the "Nodgrass" with part of the S missing or the new Lundgren? I often have to wonder where the realm of a true variation is. Since I deal primarily with the T205 set I can say that most of the time when a variation like the White quotes No quotes comes up it is disregarded as a variation when in fact it is just the same as the Hobby NO Stats, the Matty Cycle variation, and Wilhelm.

Why can't we be the Hobbies voice and set a guideline of rules that need to be in place before we can add a variation to a checklist. After all we have the likes of Mr. Lemke, and SGC, lurking the boards. They seem to be the ones the hobbies opinion follows anyways.

Could we as a collective come to an agreement on a set of rules. I am sure that there are many thing that are agreed upon and that there are a few differences. Since a majority rules those differences could be narrowed out. Right

Easy one
- A card found to have a variated pose

Open to discussion
- A variated typeset on the card, (excluding a misprint/error such as a partial letter), Exp: Magee spelled Magie on T206, Wilhelm with a "Suffered/Suff ed" back, Moran Stray line/No stray, Demmit STL, O'hara STL.

Since we know that the cards were mass produced and the type set was removable on some this would leave room for errors. A partial letter would be caused by the lack of ink or a wore down typeset letter. Not from the shear forgetfulness of the printer such as the Moran stray line or the wilhelm suff ed. Even these cards were produced on multiple backs and not corrected.

I would like to hear what you all thing of this.