View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Precisely. Just as in the coin market, certain sections of the market will be in focus and therefore "hot," while others are quiet. An interesting analysis of the coin market's history and the ups and downs of various portions of it can be found in several of Q. David Bowers' books, one of the foremost experts in that collectibles field. My own study of the card and car markets is in accord. Things that are available in reasonably significant quantity will be cyclical, especially in ultra high grade. Those which are decidedly outright rare and significant (or "popular," if you wish to use Bowers' preferred term) appreciate in value in a much more linear fashion. The time to buy is when the latter segment is in a quiet phase, but determining what will be deemed rare and significant and significantly more valuable in the future is up to the individual collector. That comes through research into both baseball history and knowledge about what's out there in cards. Some of your choices will be right on, and some will not. Condition, the last factor in the value equation, is the easiest to determine.

May your collecting be joyful in any event,

Larry
Appreciate the joyful comment very much. I get great joy from collecting and, believe it or not, from posting stuff on this board and sometimes getting my balls busted. It beats talking politics these days. I agree than its always some are up and some are down. I don't dabble in the deepest end of the pool by a long shot, but I do collect some nice 6s and 7s of Ruth and Gehrig and a few others. Goudeys, Caramels, nice Exhibits, rare strip cards. And I watch a lot of the other cards pretty carefully at least 1920-50. To my eye there has been a softening in demand for most of these cards. Not dramatic but noticeable. Looks at the Goudey 7s. Look at the rarer Gehrig cards (which I collect). Look at the CJs. I see at least a breather and more probably a genuine dip. I find the economics of the market to be pretty fascinating stuff, but I know to many of you it is anathema.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-16-2017 at 06:23 PM.