View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Default Baseball team Maroons photos 1915

Posted By: marshall barkman

Simply because you do not follow western folklore John. Here are some facts for you. Seth bullock was close friends with Ted Roosevelt and he also was responsible for the divide of South & North Dakota into statehood. He played a major role in the developement of Mt. Rushmore and also was the territories first real Sheriff.In regards to Swearigan There is currently a 1,000,000 bounty set by a private colector for anyone who can produce a image of Al Swearigan and have it identified as such by the experts. You see John baseball guys always want famous players or someone like Rube Wadell in the photo. Most baseball folks could care less about the rareity of a item if a hall of famer is not in it. To a museum like the one in Deadwood though a team baseball picture with heroes of the town is worth it's weight in gold and would mean alot to them in order to display it because it is a part of the towns history.

Here is case in point. A friend of mine bought a Ranch 101 painting in Philadelphia at a high end art auction. All the so called art experts were there and everyone boo-hooed the painting and swayed around the room smelling each other's farts and criticizing the painting . It was a gentleman riding a cowboy delivering mail to Ranch 101 and was dated in the mid 1800's. He bought the painting for 600 dollars and really no one even paid any attention. I listened to what his plan was and thought who cares what these bozos think because all they know is Daniel Garber, Scott Duncanson, Earl Moran and so on. One art dealer asked me why we bought it and i replied because i think it may be worth 5 figures, he scoffed and said SUCKER and then walked off.

My buddy then sent the painting to Waco Texas to a high end auction house and it blew out for 28,500 plus 15% buyer premium. Not everyone is a expert all the time and my theory is different horses for different courses. The painting made the front page of the Antique Monthly so i know the folks in Philadelphia were shocked and i wonder how the art dealer feels who called me a sucker is doing with his 4,000 watercolor that is now worth 2000 because of the economy?