View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Advice appreciated: Bought item from auction house - realized listing had mistake

Hey all,

Would appreciate some advice.

A little while back I won a baseball at auction from SCP with the title: OCT. 6, 1945 NAVY ALL-STAR BASEBALL SERIES (AMERICAN VS. NATIONAL LEAGUE) PROGRAM AND TEAM SIGNED GAME USED BASEBALL W/ STAN MUSIAL (SCHEFFING COLLECTION)

The implication from the title and listing was that this was the final baseball pitched in the final game of the Navy All-Star series.

In researching the ball I realized that the score written on the ball (4-3) does not match the date on the ball (October 6th) but is actually the score from the game on Oct. 5th (the 5th game of the series.)

Based on this I think it is safe to assume that the date on the ball was a mistake (or written the next day) and this is not a game-used ball from the final game, but a ball from the game before. (Interestingly, technically the series was clinched in game 5 but they played the following day anyways.)

I don't know how others feel, but to me the final GU ball carries more significance than a ball from the second to last game and I believe this affects the value a bit.

I was wondering whether there was something to be done about this. The auction ended close to a year ago, and I'm not looking to return the ball, but I do believe it very well might have ended for cheaper if this information was accurate.

Thanks in advance.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/bids/...e?itemid=27209

Writing on the ball reads" Last ball used in the Navy League National (4) American (3) Oct. 6, 1945 Navy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1945 Navy AS Game GU Ball 1.jpg (14.7 KB, 344 views)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 02-05-2017 at 11:53 AM.