View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Default 19th Century Only is Over Already

Posted By: warshawlaw

I think a few lessons can be gleaned from this auction:

1. Having an auction close in mid-January after a slew of major auctions closed in December and just after the holidays isn't such a hot idea. I know I am just plain burned out and paying off the December stuff, and I was not inclined to go hard in this auction unless something really great was there, which it wasn't given my oddball collecting tastes.

2. Lower grade cards of readily located sets are not going to set price records because people just won't chase them in an auction. Many of the T and E cards offered fetched ebay-ish prices because they were Ebay-ish offerings.

3. Many of the cards were GAI graded. I do not think GAI graded cards command the same prices as PSA and SGC cards. My gut feel is that GAI overgrades lower end stuff and I think the prices reflect that.

4. Advertising works. I don't recall receiving anything like the advertising I get from Mastro, Lelands, REA or any of a number of other auctioneers. I recall only a voice mail a few days ago quickly reminding me of the auction close and asking for consignments. I must have gotten dozens of emails from other auctions in December.

5. There are enough auctions already that real price competition for consignors is cutting into lower tier auctioneers' pool of material. Forget 17.5% commissions; with something good to offer the big boys will go 10% too,.and at that rate, I am going to go with the biggest possible house.