View Single Post
Old 12-03-2003, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Default Vanishing T208 Cullivan Fireside

Posted By: Jeff S

it always strikes me as odd that some sellers so readily accept these types of offers.

Basically they are weighing (or should be weighing) the chances that a) the e-mailer is trying to get the item really cheap, or b) the e-mailer really wants it, and is the only person who'll bid high, and just really wants it right now.

Every once in a while, it's legit that somebody just really wants it now--I've paid a premium to get somebody to end an auction early so I could get a gift shipped in time. But I figure that in our arena of old cards, that's pretty rare.

The strangest thing about the whole thing seems to be that sellers will embrace the opportunity to get cash in their hand five or six days earlier than otherwise.

I often get notes from people who see my auctions that say something like, "I'll pay you $x right now by paypal," as if I'm willing to give a big discount in order to get the cash by Thursday. The frequency with which I receive such offers suggests that the strategy may work for some buyers.

Getting a cash advance on a credit card is a better deal than accepting an offer like that!

End of rant, for now