View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Default Article on card restoration

Posted By: Eric Eichelkraut

My extent of altering cards is the same as Leon's..I've taken a white art eraser to remove very small pencil markings. I only do this on cards where I am positive that no color, print, or paper loss can occur...and only do this to cards I will positively not resell. I had a tough time convincing myself to even erase small pencil markings, and consulted one of vintage cards leading and most trusted hobbyists before doing so. It was suggested to me that if you are altering a card, so long as you do not change the original composition of the card, then the changes are not immoral, or wrong. I like this advise, although even that simple statement can be construed several different ways. I guess what this whole topic really comes down to is, what is the true reasoning the alteration is being made? If the intention is to deceive others or enhance a card for greater selling purposes (by changing the composition of the card)..I would call this criminal. If the purpose is to enhance a card to your liking, or to alter a card in such a way that it does not alter the original composition of the card, this is what I would deem as moral alteration..and quite honestly, quite exceptable. This is only my opinion.

On a separate note, I do want to add that I'm not sure where I stand on the topic of major restoration (such as those discussed in the VCBC article). This is a fine line, where the same question surfaces….are people being honest about the changes in the card when selling, or are they making alterations with intentions to deceive? I've only seen one card in my life that was a major restoration, and I have to say that I was very impressed. The owner will never sell it, and he would never deceive anyone into thinking that the card had not been restored. The damage sustained by this card was to the point of destroying a truly rare vintage piece beyond reasonable collectability (is this a word?). But the restoration done was so perfectly done, that I agreed that the changes made were a good thing in this particular case.

In a traditional sense, I can appreciate those who feel that any restoration is wrong. I find myself thinking that way most of time as well. However, there are always exceptions..and alike the one I just mentioned, something good is to be found in this process.