View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 11:17 PM
Curt

I have a few of those audio cards that come out in the late 90s that ran off batteries. I don't remember now, but they may have also had a few seconds of game action via a sportflic type technology. Of course, the batteries are all dead and there does not appear to be a good way to replace them. I guess they didn't care at the time, but having a replaceable battery would have been a common sense move anyway, but NO, they were not replaceable.

It seems the card makers have stopped focusing on what might be cool (mid 90s insert variety, for example) and innovative and just focus on packing in the potential dollar lottery returns with 1/1 cuts and limited autographs of guys like Koufax, Trout, Aaron, etc.

Speaking of cool concepts, I really enjoyed the early acetate cards and the duffel technology. Not sure why duffel is still not used more, but it seems many of the early acetate cards just turn a nasty yellow over time. Surprise bonus down the road for many. I also really enjoy the 3D effect, like Topps lineage had. Wish that was more common as well.