View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 05:28 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

After some further experimentation and picking at the backs, here is where I'm at. I've got about 18-20 of the photo postcards removed from their pages (only affected I think 4 of the scrapbook pages) which involved cutting around the photos. Only 1 baseball-related article was on the backs of any of these, which I scanned for posterity, and would be glad to send to anyone wanting to read about a 1902 match-up between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Rochester Bronchos of the Eastern League. After some further experimenting, I discovered that the glue holding everything together is indeed water soluble (so I guess I should say paste, not glue), but as Rhys surmised, the wallpaper samples everything is adhered to is too thick for me to be comfortable in saturating them enough for the water to get through the wallpaper to loosen the paste underneath. I may try working with one small area at a time, working in from the edges to at least remove enough for the stamp box, postmarks and any writing to be revealed, but it's going to be a long, slow process from what I can tell.

Below are examples of two of the more promising backs, in terms of potential information to be revealed. Thankfully, most if not all of the writing appears to be either in pencil or in that does not run/smear with water, though I will still be using caution as I proceed.

Steve, I do tend to agree with the sentiment of "keep it intact" in most circumstances, but in this particular case, the "book" is rapidly deteriorating. I did however photograph the entire thing prior to doing any work with it, and have made a pdf of that so as to have a "virtual scrapbook".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L10193_2.jpg (78.6 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg L10195_2.jpg (77.7 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 05-10-2013 at 05:29 PM.