View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I was there two days I planned to be there for four but I got a call Monday saying I could pick up our new Cocker Spaniel puppy Thursday. So Thursday and Friday were dedicated to our new pup. Tuesday I went to the VIP reception and got all 3 autographs and then got on line to get in during the sneak peak. My wife came with and helped by sorting out all the free swag and even breaking open a few boxes at the Topps wrapper redemption booth.
Small crowd so I was able to move around quickly. I was looking for early Baseball Programs and was disappointed I saw very few. I was also surprised to find that although it was a very large show and had great auction house displays there was not as many nice pre-war cards as I thought would be at a National. Post war was a different story lots of nice 52 mantles 55 Clemente's etc. Jeff at Card Country had a really nice assortment of great post war stars. I met him and a few other really nice net54 guys on Wed. I almost pulled the trigger on the Felix Mendelson that I saw another board member picked up. I saw it early in my first run and try to mostly look on my first run and then go back and buy on my second unless it is high on my want list. There was a small crowd for many of the paid autograph guests on Wednesday. Gary Sheffield signed my 500 HR ball and was very nice but the line was short. After his auto I finished my second round dropped some stuff off at PSA and drove back home.
Saturday I bought some stuff to sell and talking to dealers I knew early Sat. I got a mixed reaction some said business was slow some said good but many said that they were disappointed that not much stuff walked into the show for them to buy. Again the lines for Frank Thomas and Eddie Murray were kinda short and I was surprised. Cal Ripkin had a decent crowd and was SO nice to his fans. I also got a signature from Marty Brodeur who again was very nice. I was walking out and was checking a few booths that had interesting stuff and there on top of a showcase was a Bazooka Box that I had my eye out for for a very long time a 1968 Clemente Full BOX.. well you all know how it goes one purchase can turn a so so show into one you will remember for a long time. Hope the national comes back to the North East soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160806_214812.jpg (82.9 KB, 417 views)