View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 10:57 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Greg- I like those all of those star pennants, even the Keezer, more than the SF. Wish there was a Trench version with Candlestick. Just feel that SF got left out on the all star game pennant.

Jim- thanks for posting the auction pics. 1999 was before my pennant collecting days. I had not seen those.

Mark- sounds like you think that the same person bought all of them. If so, I wonder what that person's entire collection looks like? Any idea who it is/was?

Do you think that they would sell for as much today? More? About the same? 12k and 11k seem pretty strong.
Marc:
I have no way to know for sure, but it's a good bet that the majority of these went to a single collector. I would bet that all of the "Manager pennants" did, anyway.

The "Manager Pennants" all had ceiling bids that were well above the levels at which they resided late into the night. Most were sitting at/around $3K - $4K at around 10 PM Pacific time. The auction closing rules were different back then... there was no "lot by lot" closing. So at around 11 PM Pacific time/2 AM EDT, I started hitting them with bids. There was not a single instance where my bid was even temporarily in the lead.... the ceiling bids were well above my bids and seemed limitless.

I would assume the final prices realized would've been much higher if someone else was pushing them up late into the night. There were a couple I did not pursue... really didn't love the "SOX" pennant as much as the others, and never placed an initial bid on it. The others were just too spectacular. In retrospect, I wish I pursued it, as it may have been the only attainable one!

Since this auction, I've acquired other examples of the John McGraw pennant (identical to the one Gary posted), the White Sox Pennant with leaping Fielder (that is an image of Frank Chance, BTW) and the Cubs Swinging Bear Pennant. None of the Manager Pennants have resurfaced, and I'd bet they're all still residing in one place.

Regarding what they'd sell for now... it is anyone's guess. You'd think the prices would have appreciated in 24 years, but I'm not so sure. Those were big prices, and the recent oversized pennant find in REA did not exactly blow the doors off... very pedestrian prices IMHO. Granted, the Mastro find was a bit more spectacular, but look at the huge price disparities between Mastro's 1999 "Mini Find of Maxi Felt" and the last REA auction. Collectors are fickle and there is no "price catalog" to refer to with this one-of-a-kind "sole survivor" type stuff. So the prices realized are unpredictable, and seem to depend upon who's bidding at the time and a bunch of other intangibles.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos