View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 12:41 PM

Well, the guidebook says there are 121 1923 W572s, and no one I have ever heard of has ever assembled more than 114. Of the 7 not in that collection, 2 have no known graded examples (and therefore might not even exist), 1 has one graded example, 3 have 2 known examples (graded and ungraded added together) and 1 has 3 known examples.

The last card (one of the ones with no known graded examples) was added to the set in 2006. The cards were sold in strips of 10 cards. If the 121 is accurate ... it seems plausible there could be as many as 9 other cards out there that are uncatalogued.

So, I think it's safe to say, there could be as few as 1 set that is even possible to be assembled, and it may even be impossible to assemble a full original 1923 set because those 9 cards could have been tossed over the years.

But as others noted earlier, outside of Cobb and Ruth (over 35 of both are known) and few others, most of these cards don't command very much money ... but if they did, perhaps some would surface.

Cheers,
Patrick

Ps - If you have a w572 of Barbare, Duncan, Heilmann, Parkinson, Rapp, Rigney or Wambsganss please PM me. Thank you.