Thread: REA is open
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 01:27 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Because if I have say 10 items I’m looking at and put high ceiling bids on each of them, what’s to say I don’t get run up on all of them and then I have 10 items at the max I was willing to spend on each, not thinking I could end up with all of them? I wouldn’t call not doing that lazy, but actually financially prudent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
You have the option of setting a higher bid so you don't get sniped. If you didn't do that, isn't it on you? Why aren't we just calling that "lazy" instead of a problem? The snipe WAS the highest bid at closing time.

I don't necessarily love the hard stop the way it happened, but I knew it was possible and even likely. As a matter of fact, I was about to bid on two other items because I'd gotten outbid on the most expensive item I was chasing around 11:40P. But I got lazy, hit bid about 8 seconds too late. Oh well.

And, NO I do not think the auction house has responsibility to get the highest price for every item - that's a totally false premise that they can't control. The "market" is much larger than the bidder IDs at REA - frequently the person willing to pay the most isn't even bidding in some of these auctions. Time, resources, awareness, all of those things factor in. REA got good exposure, they normally do solid but not overly flowerly write-ups and they run a fair auction process. I think they did their job.