Thread: H & S Pick-Ups
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 12:18 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
All too rich for me... $65/card. Wowsa! Hope there's a couple of rare backs there...

I was the underbidder, and when I bid $4000, I did it with a shriek and one eye open...

The way they were on there seemed to indicate that it could be glue that is not necessarily water soluble. There isn't a ton of proof to go on, it was more of a feel thing and how securely they appeared to be on the paper. H&S also used the phrase "tightly glued" to both sides, which made me hesitant to think I could remove them with no recourse. The one that was ripped off seems to not have budged, and it looks like it was ripped off recently judging by how white the remainder of the card was. I've run into both water soluble, and non water-soluble glues when removing cards from scrapbooks.
I love that kind of stuff, and it's one of the only items I'll really overpay for. The percentages are infinitesimal, but to me, it's as close as you can get to getting that feeling of opening a pack, albeit a pack with no front door. I've had pretty good success with it, and the process is exciting for a nerd like me. The only downside is my wife looking at all her baking dishes filled with nasty water.

Another reason why another bidder might have went higher was because this seemed to be a better group to find some of the very rare backs. Many of these subjects, from what I can remember without studying the pictures again, were from the 350-460 series.

Who knows, maybe the owner was a Broadleaf smoker? Hopefully whoever won it is a member, and they can show off 10 Broadleaf 460s and make me regret not going higher! I just couldn't bring myself to purchase them at 70$ a card just for the thrill of it. Also, if you look at the one that was torn off, Birdie Cree, it looked like there was a reddish tint on the scrapbook paper where the card used to be glued to. As many of you know, typically if there is one that is Sweet Cap, the rest are very likely the same. Regardless, the buyer will have a fun time removing them, and I'm bummed I won't get to enjoy the "suspense". These types of offerings don't come up too often.

Last edited by npa589; 10-11-2013 at 12:28 PM.