View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 AM

Default Good Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitleth View Post
Michael,

I know it's been almost half a year since that auction, but I was the winner! Here is the funny thing, your snipe bid should have taken it home EASILY! I had the high bid, and as I was riding down the interstate in the car, I was watching closely, as I really wanted the bat. I told myself I wouldn't go any higher than $250.

Well, as the auction went under a minute, 20 seconds actually, the bid was rapidly approaching $250. I talked myself into a bid of $280. Here is the funny thing (not so funny at the time), I was using ebay mobile on my phone so it took a few more seconds to bring up the bid window, so I was typing really fast and knew I only had a few seconds to get the little higher bid in. Anyway, in all my haste, I didn't look closely before I hit confirm bid.

And then, BOOM! I see the winning bid was 510.00, and at first I said, wow that went high, only to then realize I had won.

When I had placed the bid, I was in such a hurry, and didn't pay attention to where I placed the decimal point, so I accidentally put in a bid of $2800!!! OOPS!

At first I was really pissed at myself, but when I got the bat, I was super excited. I'm not a bat expert and don't really have any idea of the actual age of the bat. I'm just starting to amass a collection of baseball memorabilia. Bats are my first priority as they just interest me so much. I wanted to start my collection with a bat from the early early years, so a hand made bat made sense to me.

So is it worth $500? Who knows, but now I have a fun story and a great beginning piece to my collection.
Good post....$2,800....pretty funny...I can't recall what it looked like close up...maybe you could post some photos...but if it looks anything like the one photo above I posted of the barrel end...I'd say you're fine.

Your post reminds me of a time I was bidding in a Hunt auction on my phone while at work...and like your scenario it was hiking up past my top bid...those smart phones make it easier to up your bid than the old pre smart phone days...I manned up at the end, and with the mobility of the phone, got the three pieces I was after, see below...anyway Congratulations on your bat....six months latter....I think you did fine.

Photobucket
Via mobile bidding I got the two packs on the left....the one on the left is very rare...the one in the middle would probably be considered near impossible...the one on the right is quite common.

Photobucket
Via mobile bidding, a very rare tobacco pouch in very good condtion

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 01-04-2013 at 02:48 AM.