View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Default Need help with T205 authentication

Posted By: Phil

Hello everyone,

I've lurked quite a few times, reading some of the interesting posts and learning something everytime I was here. But now I have a question and I hope I can get some advice.

At work (large company) I have someone who is liquidating his collection piece by piece over our public announcement boards. He has a 1911 T-205 Mathewson that he is bringing in for me to examine on Thursday. It has a Piedmont back and is not graded obviously. The starting price he listed seemed well below fair value. Apparently the card has a/some creases (the worst kind of defect), but the scan I saw looked much better than the various 1's and 2's I researched (the border was in much better shape with less gold chips and he said the color is very good).

I know there have been reprints of this card over the years. I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to what I should be looking for when I examine this card. This person works at my company and does not seem so far to be the unscrupulous type. However, I am sure it is possible that he came about the card and does not know its authenticity. His other collectibles are not PreWWII cards, so this probably is not his collecting forte.

Obviously, the scan might not be showing all the flaws. If anyone could give me some advice as to how to examine this card, I would truly appreciate your advice and help. I do not have the scan on me now at home, but I can post it tomorrow after I get in at work.

Nice to finally post here and I look forward to talking to you in the future.
Thanks
Phil