View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 01:08 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Tucker,

Sure no problem, not sure how it was for others but this is how it was for me on this project.

As a kid I had several finds of cards in the thousands. Most of the cards I have kept over the years or traded away to get upgrades or others I need. I even sold a few lots here via the BST.

Upon going thru these many years later I was stacking the doubles on top of each other and I realized I had quite a stack of Murphy's for no reason I can explain. I had Sovereign, Sweet Caps, Piedmonts, AB, and PB etc.

I made a joke to a collecting pal I should just go ahead and get them all.

We discussed that there were several cards that would be really tough and some that may not even be available or that there may be one of. Drum was one of those cards only one has popped up that we/I knew of, then there was Lenox only two I could locate and then BL460 there are 3 examples one really rough, one GD and the VGEX example above. Lucky for me I was able to locate all the toughies in an unreal 5-6mos.

Also I could agree getting the tough ones out of the way is a good start. However I don’t recommend it 100%. There’s nothing wrong with having 10 or more common backs it’s just as cool IMO, and if the tough one pops up it’s that much more enjoyable.

As you can see from this thread nothing stopping you from doing several players at once.

You also may find that a more common back is way tougher than you think. In fact I chased the upgrade for the BL460 for quite some time now funny enough I have two BL460’s both Danny Murphy.

However I still have yet to find a Cycle 460 in VGEX or better for my Murphy run. While not super tough if you would have asked me 2 years ago would I have dupes of Cycle 460 or BL460 there’s no way I would have said BL460 yet still be looking for a Cycle 460 upgrade.

This set is full of surprises and a big part of a run is all in the luck of the draw or timing.

Also having good pals in the collecting community helps too, share your projects two or three board members were a big help to me especially Jim R.

But be warned it can be a double edged sword while sharing can help you locate cards it also can cost you. Some folks my try the same run tying up cards you need or knowing your new infatuation with a certain card prices seem to be very strong when cards come up that folks know you need.

One big piece of advice if you see it buy it don’t second guess or say I’ll wait another will pop up. As long as you can swing it get it you can always sell the extras if you find a better example.

Tucker hope this helps etc.

Cheers,

John

P.S. You guys in this thread are sick, at least I kept it to one guy.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-27-2011 at 02:08 AM.