View Single Post
Old 05-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Default Storing/displaying cabinets, Old Judge's etc.

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the more experienced members of the forum about storing/displaying cabinets,cdv's, etc..

First off, what is the best way to store cabinets, cdv's and tintypes in order to ensure maximum preservation?

Second, should cabinets, etc. be displayed in a frame or other setup reguarly or can the exposure to normal everyday indoor lighting be harmful,(cause fading, etc.)?

Third, What is the best way to safely store raw m iddle to lower grade Old Judge's/N172's, in binder pages or toploaders/screwdowns? As they tend to be more expensive on average per card then other tobacco issues and since they can fade, I figure that toploaders/screwdowns may be a better bet. I don't have a whole lot of N172's, but as I acquire more collector grade singles, I was contmplating transferring them from screwdowns to binder pages.

I generally put my cabinets in large top-loaders and I put my collector grade T212 and n28 sets that I'm building in binders. Any other individual pre-war cards I usually put in screwdowns.

I'm sure that everybody has their own preferred method and I just thought that a post like this may answer a few questions for new collectors. Any thoughts would be most helpful, thanks all!