View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 05:33 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Jason

That poll shows us that 42 % of collectors have been "brainwashed" by PSA with their phony "1948" date on their flips. PSA should recall every single 1949 LEAF card
that they have graded, and re-grade them correcting the the date on their flip. But, we know they won't do this. So, the "fake news" will continue.

Hey guys,
I appeal to your common sense of logic. Certain bios on the backs of the 1949 LEAF cards provide proof as to when these cards were issued. I do no expect you to start
reading numerous bios to prove it to yourself. Displayed here is one card that tells the whole story, Lou Boudreau's bio......check-it-out.

Lou Boudreau's MVP Award was announced in December of 1948.

And, for those of you who would counter..... "well some cards were issued in 1948, while others in 1949". Well. that is sheer "horse-crap".
The COPYRIGHT date on the back of each card identifies when its Bio was written and registered.

Here is an uncut sheet of the 1st Series cards issued in early Spring of 1949. I, and many other old-time collectors, acquired these cards in 1949.
And NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE, has ever said they acquired them in 1948. I did a survey some years ago in which I asked this of collectors who
grew up in various parts of the country in the late 1940's.

For those of you who value accurate dating of BB card sets, I leave you with this....get a copy of http://oldcardboard.com/misc/issue09/issue09.asp.
You'll find it worthwhile and very interesting.

TED Z

T206 Reference

I think it's pretty obvious that the Leafs are a 1949 issue, the Boudreau being the most concrete evidence that makes 1948 100% impossible. I've wondered how this set got stamped with the 1948 date everywhere though. This was a fairly major issue, and not a very old set when the catalogs first began, unlike many other sets that have been attributed with inaccurate dates. In the early periodicals, does anyone know if these were correctly labelled as 1949, and the mistake came later? Or have these just always been labelled with the wrong year? Most all the catalogs and checklists I have access too from before the last few years insist it is a 1948 issue, not just PSA's slabs.

It would be a fun project to more thoroughly trace some of the historiography than the history of the sets themselves, how a lot of the misinformation that has been spread happened (T206 Hustler backs, T220 Silver border Jack Goodman, N28 being an 1888 issue, etc.)

As to Jackie:
1947 Bond Bread
1947 Bond Bread Exhibit
1947 Bond Bread Dual Sided
1947 Bond Bread Jackie Series (13 cards)
1948 R346 blue Tint
1948 Swell Sports Thrills

By my count, that's at least 18 different cards before his Leaf and Bowman were issued. If his Leaf and Bowman are rookies, than almost all the cards in the sets is a "rookie," even though those players are on many earlier cards.

Since posts are better with a card, here's the 3 Leafs I got in the mail this week, including Mr. Boudreau. I don't like this set quite enough to pay up the big bucks for the scarce second series, but I'd like to complete Series 1, raw and low-grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1781.jpg (78.3 KB, 328 views)