View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 1949 BOWMAN's (25 HOFers, many Rookies)...show-N-tell us of your cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I'm building this set right now, in low grade, with 81 cards to go. I really underrated the high numbers before starting this set, they are pretty tough comparatively. I've got a slate Joe Tipton, and plan to do the white/grey backs in series 1.

I like and hate this set. I like it as the first of the post-war 'full size' mainstream sets, and I've grown to like the odd half-colorization used in 1949 by Leaf and Bowman. As a set collector who doesn't care about rookies, all the star rookies and their increased prices sure can get annoying though, for cards that are less attractive (In my subjective opinion) than pretty much any of the mainstream 50's sets featuring the same players.

The Jackie card I have never understood how it can be reasonably considered a rookie at all.

I've had a ton of fun picking up the commons though as part of my full Bowman run (all my other sets are 0-5 cards away from completion).
G1911

You are a true collector...... Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding this set.

And yes, the 1949 BOWMAN Jackie Robinson is far from being his "rookie" card.

ROOKIE card.....issued Summer 1947 ..…..……………..….....……. 1948 ……..…...…..…....…... Early Spring 1949

Mid Spring 1949

TED Z

T206 Reference