View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 1949 BOWMAN's (25 HOFers, many Rookies)...show-N-tell us of your cards

Reprising my Alan Rosen (Mr. Mint) story in order to tell you how it ended......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
My first complete 1949 BOWMAN PCL set.

In 1984 at the Atlantic City BB card Show, I checked-out Alan "Mr Mint" Rosen's booth. He had his usual spectacular display of "oldies-n-goodies".
Including a very seldom seen complete 1949 BOWMAN PCL set.

"How much, Alan ?"....I asked. He said 2K. I said I have exactly 2K in my pocket. But, I need to spend some of it elsewhere. He suggested I give
him 500, and we can complete this deal at a later date. He removed this set off the table and told me stop by to take it with me upon leaving the
show.
The following week I drove to his home in North Jersey. He was more interested in trading than cash. I was aware of this, so I brought an eclectic
bunch of goodies. You'll have quite a laugh when you find out what he took in trade for the 1500 balance, which I owed him to complete the deal.
OK, of all the vintage "goodies" I offered him in trade to complete this PCL set deal, Alan took ten - 1982 TOPPS Traded sets, and $500 in cash. Those 10 sets cost
me only $5 each in 1982. Needless to say, I was very delighted with this deal.

My advice to any one on this forum, who really enjoys a serious challenge....try to complete this PCL set. After all, you only have to go on the hunt for 36 cards
This set has increased at least five-fold in value since I first started collecting these cards in the early 1980's.

And, displayed here is the 3rd (of 3 pages) from my 1949 BOWMAN album which includes the 1949 PCL set.

…..…..… Johnny Rucker ………………………….…… Jack Brewer ………….…....…....… Dominic Dallessandro

…....….. Dick Lajeski ……….….……...………..…… Albie Glossop ………..…….….……….…. Frank Kelleher

………...… Les Scarsella ………………..………….…… Joe Marty …………….………...……..… Bill Raimondi

……...... Gene Handley …………..……....………..…… Tom Seats ……….…..…..…….……. "Mickey" Burnett

TED Z

T206 Reference