View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Default Columbia University silks etc

Posted By: davidcycleback

The worst is when the Word dictionary is unable to find a word that even resembles the word you typed out. You fiddle around with letters several times and it still can't find any resemblance to the English language. You're spelling is so bad, it's not even recognized as a misspelling.

Then there are the times you want to find a movie on the shelves and can remember all the words in the title but first one.

Then there was the time I was looking up a word in the dictionary and realized I was looking up the word 'dictionary.' At least I found out what was that thing in my hands.

Did you ever see the episode of the great British historical comedy Blackadder about Samuel Johnson, author of the first English dictionary? The dimwitted servant got a hold of the manuscript and, according to the show, the first word in history ever looked up in a dictionary was 'fart.' The second was 'fornicate.' Also, the main characters thought they accidentally burned the only copy of the dictionary in the fireplace and wrote a new dictionary from scratch in 24 hours in the hopes that Johnson wouldn't notice.