Thread: Vintage Racing?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu_class_of_2001 View Post
I'm certainly intrigued and someday would like to complete sets like the 1911 ATC (T36), 1960 Hawes Wax Indy, 1954 Stark & Wetzel and definitely the Marhoefer set.

I've definitely noticed what you say about cards sitting on eBay. I have recently bought two of the Ralph DePalmas. I won two others at auction, for much less than the "asking" prices of the others. I will definitely take my time on it.

Thank you for the info on the Foyt Marhoefer card. I have only been looking for a couple of months, but have been waiting to it (alone) to come available. Looks like I will be waiting awhile.
I forgot to mention the Hawes Wax set in my earlier posts. The Hawes Wax set and the Stark & Wetzel set are both great looking sets, but cards rarely come up for auction from either set. The same cards just sit on eBay forever as BINs from the same one or two sellers.

In recent years, I have developed an interest in some of the iconic racing cards/sets and non-sports cards because many iconic/extremely rare vintage baseball cards are out of my price range. This is not a criticism at all of anyone who collects T206s or '33 Goudeys or '52 Topps baseball cards. Everyone should collect what they like. But I get as much of a thrill at finding a really rare card that might only be worth $200-300 as someone gets from buying a T206 Cobb or a '33 Goudey Ruth that is easy to find.

I saw that a DePalma T36 card sold recently on eBay. I did not realize you were the buyer.

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-09-2016 at 04:08 AM.