View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrenBats View Post
Hey guys, hoping to get your thoughts on this pennant I pick up recently. The seller listed it as 1930’s and it definitely has an old look to it. The older pennant I have all have the design screened/painted on. This pennant has the words and logo in felt and is not sewn on. Is this common? I’m questioning the authenticity. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have no opinion on the authenticity of this pennant. But, I did want to address your question about the felt letters/graphics and the way some manufacturers affixed these to the body of the pennant. You are correct that most manufacturers would sew the letters on. This was commonplace through the 1920s and 30s until screened/painted designs became the norm.

BUT, there was at least one manufacturer that glued the letters to the body. If you're able to examine one of these pennants in person, it'll be fairly obvious that the letters are felt; but, on the reverse, there'll be no stitching outlining the spot where each letter sits.

I suspect this was done to lower production costs. Running a sewing machine takes time and and an experienced operator. Glue ... not so much.

I don't think this production method ever really caught on. For one, glue tends to crack when a pennant is waved back and forth. It also breaks down with time. It had to be cheaper to just screen print the lettering and be done with it.