View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Tim Whitman

Default Loon Club

Upon receipt of this photo, I did a little bit of digging to try to learn about its origin. In doing so, I came across the following article from the September 19, 1892 edition of the Bangor Daily Whig and Courier (page 3):

“The new Shutter Club was granted a charter Saturday by the Attorney General. The club was organized July 9th at Mouse Island, and is the result of the refusal of the old Shutters to play base ball this season with the juvenile shutters, giving them a chance to regain their old name of Loon Club. The juveniles concluded that as they could not be Loons, they would be Shutters, and the only ones in the State, so they became incorporated, and will, they say, drive the old Shutter out of business. The headquarters of the club is Rockland.

The incorporators are R.W. Sawyer, of Bangor, John D. Nichols, of Boston, Frank F. Clapp of Malden, D.N. Hardacker, of Dennisport, S.H. Webb, W.S. White and A.B. Jones, of Rockland, with seven associates H.C. Chapman, Bangor, F.O. Sargent, T.E. Lindsey, H.M. Harris, Boston, W.I. Littlefield, Belfast, R.F. Genthner, Damiriscotta, and George D. Hughes, Brunswick.

The officers of the club are President, R.W. Sawyer, vice president, Frank F. Clapp; secretary and treasurer A.H. Jones; director H.C. Chapman and W.S. White.

The club has adopted the old Loon Club plan of having an annual dinner and summer outing.”

Every player in the photograph is mentioned in the article. What I found to be pretty cool was, other than every player rocking those amazing mustaches, the two ring bats, and the spelling of “Mascott” – check out the guy in the upper left. Perhaps one of the first documented baseball “photobombs”  It appears that he is wearing a “Shutters” jersey. Based on the article, my guess is he was not supposed to be there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loon Club Picture.jpg (35.1 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg Shutters Pic.JPG (42.1 KB, 416 views)