Thread: Greed
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2004, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Default Greed

Posted By: warshawlaw

Greed is good. Greed works. Greed cuts through, clarifies and captures the essence of the creative spirit. Greed in all its forms...has marked the upward surge of mankind, and you mark my words, greed will not only save this company but also that other ailing company called the United States of America.
--Gordon Gekko

Like it or not, we live in the free market. If you don't like card prices, don't collect them. That said, I think the VCBC survey was a bit misleading w/r/t "greed." I don't think the criticism was directed so much at the free market for cards (I don't think an honest transaction between buyer and seller can ever be characterized as greedy, and face it, we aren't going to suddenly all join hands, sing Kumbaya and stop making money--doesn't work--see Communism) as at all of the unscrupulous behavior inspired by greed. For example, I just bought 3 OJ cards based on scans that I strongly believe were manipulated to enhance the look of the cards, or at the very least were made with settings that enhanced the cards. I don't quibble with paying what I paid for the cards but I am very ticked at the dealer who sold them to me for using scans that did not fairly represent the condition of the cards.