View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
It wasn't a completely vertical dunk. The ball had significant downward momentum, but also significant horizontal momentum as well. If you look at it in slow motion, it looks like it also grazed the rim, giving it even more misdirected horizontal momentum. Without getting into the actual physics, think wave motion. Similar to when you have 2 people hold each end of the rope (net) and one whips the rope down. The 'whipper' gets a reaction when the wave comes back from the opposite stationary point (rim). I think the 'grazing' may have also had an impact in starting or at least contributing to the the 'wave' action of the net.
Thanks. Interesting. Still, I would bet if Harden tried it 100 times or more he couldn't duplicate it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.