View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I don't have a scan, but I have a funny Jackie Robinson collecting story. Around 15 years ago, I was looking for something to collect, a set I could put together slowly on a budget. I was open to almost any era of collecting, just wanted to take my time and buy them slowly. I thought about it for a while and settled on the 1956 Topps set. I really liked the design, plus I bought a 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson just as a type card for Hall of Famers, so I had a nicer card from the set out of the way already.

I went to Ebay and bought some Pirates cards in a lot of maybe ten different ones. I'm a Pirates fan, so I was knocking them off first. Bought a Clemente off of Ebay as well. I then went to the Fort Washington show (may have been in Reading by then) and bought a small pile of semi-star cards and lower tier Hall of Famers.

After getting all of those cards from the show and in the mail, I then went to my safe to pull out my 1955 Topps Jackie Robinson. Yes, 1955 Topps. So basically, I started collecting the 1956 Topps set because I had a 1955 Topps Jackie Robinson.
Great story, and somewhat similar to my story, but my story is not as humorous. I have always preferred the aesthetics of the cards in the 1955 set (I find the white outlining around the players image to quite often be distracting in the 1956 set), but ended up collecting the 1956 set because I already had Jackie's 1956 card that I bought long ago as my Jackie Robinson representative in my collection.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-15-2024 at 03:45 PM.