View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Default Questions/thoughts/thanks for SCDA trip guys

Posted By: Aaron

"The murkiness comes from whether or not you believe that someone as "qualified" as Bushing would make an error of omission of that magnitude like that and then miraculously benefit by additional research after he had to refund the original buyers money. Personally that is a leap of faith that I am not willing to take, based on the glaring errors that have been raised previously. (Feel free to do so if you like though)."

I actually think this is an interesting observation not just for the obvious (e.g., Bushing's happy coincidence), but to the degree we as customers can expect reliable service from Bushing and SCDA when submitting items to them for authentication.

Let's look at the "streak" bat instance. What if Henrich's daughter called and sold the bat to another third-party: Joe Collector, who has the money to afford a $35,000 bat, but is not a professional authenticator.

Joe Collector then submits his bat to Dave Bushing for authentication, paying Bushing for his services.

Using the same level of investigation Bushing originally used for himself, Bushing comes back to Joe Collector that it is a game used bat, but there's no mention of it being a "streak" bat. Joe Collector then decides to flip the bat and sells it to another collector for $90,000.

That collector, in turn, submits it to Lou Lampson. Lampson then discovers the bat is a "streak" bat and this new collector is able to get $300,000 at auction for the bat.

My question being, just what level of investigation and research from Bushing to we get when we submit items?

The first, surface level where Bushing sells the bat for $90,000 as game used?

Or the second, when Bushing delves deeper into the history of the bat, and it sells for $300,000?

Are there different price levels for SCDA authentication? E.g. $100 for standard surface-look and LOA? $500 for research?

Does anyone know the answer to this?