View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I will amend my Rob Deer comment to say that he was a good to very good defensive outfielder...which does not especially show up in his stats.
I would say Rob Deer was a fairly good outfielder. I saw him more than a few times at County Stadium. He was sort of a Gorman Thomas v 2.0, though Deer was a right fielder and Thomas played center (he used to go crashing into the center field wall. Baseball Reference lists him as 6'2" 210 lbs. I think it was being a little kind as far as his playing weight was concerned). And when he left Milwaukee, he immediately had a very Uggla-esque season at age 30, hitting 25 home runs while setting a Major League record with the lowest batting average ever for a qualifying player. He hit .179 in 539 plate appearances. He bounced back the next season to hit 32 home runs and a robust .247.

Here's an odd fact. Rob Deer never had 500 at bats in a season, though he had 3,381 at bats in his career.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.