View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 05:48 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Am I right to be annoyed about how this auction I won was described?

Hey all, was hoping to get some opinions.

I recently purchased this lot of lineup cards from Goldin Auctions: "1985-1990 Los Angeles Dodgers Line-Up Cards - Over 275+ With Many Signed, from the Tommy Lasorda Collection"

Description in lot: "Offered here is an expansive lot of more than 275 Los Angeles Dodgers lineup cards used from 1985 to 1990. These lineup cards come from the Tommy Lasorda Collection. Many of them have been signed, including ones signed by Whitey Herzog, Chuck Tanner, Tom Lasorda, Hal Lanier, Gene Michael, Bob Lillis, Pete Rose, Jim Frey, Bobby Wine, Jim Davenport, Roger Craig, Art Howe, Davey Johnson, and more. This stunning lot of lineup cards is a thrilling treasure trove from the Tommy Lasorda era of Los Angeles baseball."

In buying the lot I knew that the vast majority of the lineup cards would have very little value, but was counting on 2 things:
  • In 1988 the Dodgers won the World Series, so there should be some lineups from that season
  • In 1986 the Mets won the World Series and I figured there should be at least a handful from games they played each other
  • In the NL from 1985-1988 there were some pretty significant rookies including Barry Bonds, Greg Maddux etc. and lineup cards from rookie seasons of players tend to have some decent value
  • The lot mentioned signed lineup cards from a number of managers from the era

I got the lot in the mail today and started sorting through the lineups. I was pretty unpleasantly surprised to find that 95%+ of the lineups were from 1989-1990. There was not a single Dodgers lineup card from 1988, and just a small handful of lineup cards from 1985-1988. Further, almost all of the "signed" lineups are carbon copies.

Am I right to be disappointed?

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 12-23-2018 at 01:00 PM.