View Single Post
Old 05-04-2002, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Default Graded cards in eBay auctions -- should they be returnable or not?

Posted By: MW

Warshaw --

It's a difficult subject and that's why I asked. Over the past several years on eBay, we've only had a few returns. In each case, I had a strong suspicion that the bidder had attempted to resell the card at a profit, but had been unsuccessful. One of the returns was a PSA 8 1963 Pete Rose rookie that had 60/40 centering on the back. The reason given for the return? The back was not well-enough centered. I guess it could also be that some buyers want a refund because they would rather purchase something else that they see a few days later. Maybe a specific time limit for returns would help, but I think that's pretty much a given already.

BTW, I haven't read your article yet. You must have really let some grading companies have it. I can't say that there aren't some cases on eBay where I disagree with your philosophy, however. I would have serious reservations bidding in just about ANY auction if the seller didn't have a return policy. That is unless I knew him/her and I implicitly trusted his/her judgement and descriptions. Call me cynical.