View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
With autographs since every single one of them is one of a kind, there really are no absolutes. There are points he made in the book that I did not agree with and I told him so.
In Fairness though I think that in order to be throughly comprehensive the book would need to be at least a 10 volume set, Probably take 10 years (or longer) to write and cost about $1,000 retail, and then of course no one would read it or buy it, including me.

But overall I'd say its about 95% "On the Money" Which is as close as anyone is ever going to get when writing a book about autographs. Also give him credit in that there are things that both a "novice" collector and "veteran" are going to find interesting. Just being able to do that alone would seem to me to be pretty tough to do.

All agreed 100%. And this was not intended as a tear-down thread. But I think there is some value in hearing whether Board members have specific issues with something published in the book.

For better or worse, Mr. K has a very authoritative writing style - he states many things as though they are certainties. This can be dangerous if readers believe these things absolutely. My example at the outset: I think a reader would be misled into believing that the Gateway Alston is a fake by the strong wording used by the author - but that is not so.

I think it will be helpful to users of this book if members could show other examples analogous to this one.

Who knows...if Mr. K reads this thread he might be able to use some of this to improve the next edition of his book (if there will be one).

Cheers,
Blair