View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Tony

I used to go to this show when it was George Washington Motor Lodge, I was around 8; By time I was 10-11 (my buddy was 4 yrs older) my father used to drop us off around 9 am and pick up at 7 or 8 after the live auction {which I always thought was really cool as a small kid to watch} I used to go with my notebook {list} and $20-$30, which was lot in 1976. My 2 fondest memories happened at that show #1, I found a Mike Schmidt rookie card in someone's quarter box, I couldn't pay him fast enough {it might have booked, if your old enough to remember that term you know what i am talking about for $5 at the time. My 2nd memory was I bought my first vintage card, a real sharp 1959 Clemente for $5; I think he wanted $10, I know it was more than I had, I said this is my last $5, which it was and he sold to me.; keep in mind this is around 1976-77-78. {I remember Mr. Mint vividly on a side note, mostly from Fort Washington though } I used to spend all day with my friend who collected to and was a few years older than I. When it moved to Willow Grove; or they may been at Fort Washington, I was older, cards were becoming popular and I set up for the first time. I was probably around 15-16, maybe 17, my buddy set up too; I'll never forget I had no prices listed on my cards and people would ask me all day Sat; How much? That Sat Night I took everything home {if I recall there were no more Sat night auctions} and wrote prices on the hard card cases; by Sunday afternoon, after I sold a few {less than 10} I packed up, {I just discovered PSA and picked up a SMR and saw their prices compared to book price; it may have been beckett by then, originally it was a paper CCP or something like that. I may still still one lying around I have to check} I didn't want to sell any more of my cards, until I checked them for grading. I would also buy there though. A few years went by, and then I had no ill feelings about selling and buying, it was a marketplace now, and I probably needed the money.

When it went to valley forge I set up for the first few but the show really took a nose dive in my opinion. It became an auto fest. I remember Bob Schmier never had more than 1 or 2 great guests, but it wasn't about the auto's then. {perhaps, things have changed}. I mean when I was a kid we {kids} used to sit on the curb and trade and buy/sell. I think it was late Fort Washington when they said you could only sell to dealers and if you were caught selling outside you wouldn't be allowed back in. I remember I really frowned on that concept. Back then dealers buy prices were not very strong.

Any way, I don't know if we ever met; but I hope you bring the show back to what it was. I too, have not missed a show if I did it's only a handful, and that includes Ocean City. It was good, even at Willow Grove, it has been bad at Valley Forge for years. No traffic, except at auto lines, from what I see, which is not good for anyone.

So what is the point of all this; to reminiscence, partly, but most importantly, bring back the live auction. A) for the dealers it keeps the customers around until the end of the show; B) for the customers it is a great experience and it gives you a reason to stay. And if your a collector and your at a show your buying and it's a win-win. If I remember Schmier used to ask the dealers if they any lots for the auction. It seems people like to trade ~ online at least ~ so why not set up a section where they can do that.

I may set up in Sept, I guess, let's see how it is next weekend. I am 20 minutes away FWIW. I am looking forward to it (but now mostly to drop off stuff at PSA and catch up with some dealer friends). Now I bring my 10 & 11 yr old, and tell them to look through the dime boxes. And they love it. This thread brought back a lot of great memories. Thanks All.

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 02-16-2017 at 06:28 PM.