View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Rob

Default A PINBACK MYSTERY - baseball or football?

A few days ago, I posted a pic of one of my NY (baseball) Giants pin cases. A board member (Joe aka icollectDCsports) PM'ed me to tell me he was "pretty sure" (90%) my "Scalp the Giants" pin was a Washington Redskins pinback and the Giants referred to were the NY (football) Giants. The red and yellow colors would support Joe's theory. Joe wondered if I had some reason to believe the pin is a baseball pin.

I actually had two reasons (at first)....I got my pin with a baseball bat "dangle" and I was also going by Paul Muchinsky's opinion that a button maker would be more likely to make a pin for a SERIES than for a single game. In this case, the 1954 World Series.

Joe and I sent a few more PM's back and forth and Muchinsky's book seemed to yield more clues which, I thought, increased the likelihood that this is, indeed, a baseball pin. The Cleveland Indians definitely used this indian head logo (as did the Boston Braves) and they did utilize the red and yellow color scheme.

So, I'm thinking...case closed, baseball pin....until Joe sends me an ebay link to the Redskins pin . As far as the "Scalp the Giants" pin, does anyone know for sure if this is Cleveland Indians or Washington Redskins?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-02-09 01.57.47.jpg (74.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-02-09 01.59.32.jpg (57.8 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-02-09 02.00.28.jpg (38.2 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (45.4 KB, 194 views)