View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Do you think Todd McFarland would trade his $3 Million McGwire HR-record Ball for it?
I worked for Guernsey's on that auction which included a number of other items. Authenticating and cataloging.
On auction night I was working and managing the phones and assigned a young woman a bidder name Todd McFarland. I sat next to her as the bidding went into the stratosphere and she trembled every time the bid came back to her. The losing bidder was a new business that wanted to use the ball as a promotion to promote their new product. Ties, yes ties. There would be a coupon inside one of the tie boxes and that could be redeemed for the McGwire ball. They had three people at the auction and everytime the bid came back to them, they went into this long huddle to decide what to do. It was kinda funny watching these people at what seemed to be their first ever auction. They took a lot of time in their huddle but Todd just took about 1 second to keep raising his bid. He was not going to lose it. Nobody actually in the hobby was close in the bidding. Several had indicated that they might bid $1 million but did not.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-13-2018 at 08:00 PM.