View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Then you should have contacted him to confirm his opinion.

On a serious note. You have posted several of these threads were you buy something for pennies on the dollar. Have you ever had any of these items turn out to be real? If so has the % of real items made it worth the hassles of returning all the obvious fakes.
That is great question and one I am very happy you asked actually.

While I agree with you there have definitely been some downs in my hunt, there have been a few highs that made it soo worth it (for me at least).

One of my favorite pieces I have landed was a Brooklyn Dodger Equipment bag with Jackie, Hodges and Campys numbers on it. Another board member has one with just Jackies Number too. This is so freakin cool and I got it for an amazing price.

I also was able to land a Shoeless Joe Jackson Ferguson Bakery Pennant off eBay for 1/4 of what I sold it for. That was a really neat piece as well.

Another cool piece was a Jackie Robinson Wilson scorebook which featured his first game at Ebbetts field ever (right before opening day).

While some may find these items trivial, I don't have a humungous budget, so taking chances on items is the best I can hope for at this point in time.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the knowledge I am gaining is priceless by jumping in head first as well as the opinions I am receiving from knowledgeable board members.

With this ball alone, I have learned how to detect post WWII inks under UV light, as well as become even more familiar with the markings and the differences between balls in the early and late 20's (font's, pat'd, etc.)

I want to be able to contribute to this board at a very high level in many different aspects (especially as the older guys begin to leave us... I know that is a bit morbid) and this is the quickest way to learn IMO.

Sorry for the long winded post.