View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Default ACC designations

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Brian: I am certain that you speak for many who value thought and reflection as a prelude to action. I can not say that I am not of that ilk.

However, this subject has been discussed before on this board, and prior to that discussion, many viewed the quantity of uncataloged cards increasing. I have undertook the task of assembling a list of these cards from several sources. I have no doubt that this list is incomplete.

Imho, if we continue to turn up card sets without cataloging them, sets will possibly become lost to our awareness, and identifying those which are not lost will be cumbersome and unclear.

Precedent has been set by several persons relating to cataloging needed sets. As fkw pointed out in this thread, trade cards have been organized to some extent, prior to that B.R. Sugar cataloged sets in his SCB, and I imagine others have done similarly.

We diverge on our interpretation of the task at hand, Brian. I see it as of benefit to the hobby. And I therefore conclude that it is my responsibility to do what little I can in that regard. At no point in time do I view my actions as a tresspass on the work which preceeded this effort, because it is not. The cataloging of uncataloged sets supplememts all which as previously been done.

I neither see this activity as a big deal, nor as my work. I view it as a collaborative effort of general benefit. As such we need no permission, and there is no hobby hierarchy anyway to seek permission from. I am uncertain regarding the identity of the elders of our hobby. Oh. I have met T-Rex, and he is indeed a hobby elder, actually, while Julie is on leave he is the elder statesman of our Forum, I believe. I am his junior by half a decade. But I really consider neither of us as hobby elders, and am curious who these individuals are, in your estimation.

I have to agree with Jay regarding dragging this thing out. The longer it takes in my estimation, the less likley we are to maintain momentum.

To that end:

If anyone is willing to host a list of card sets including set ID, estimated year of issue and #of cards in the set on their website, please respond by putting your e-mail address in this thread, and I will send our list to you.

No manipulation of the list is required. Just viewing of it.

If other approaches seem preferable, please advise me.

Gil