View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have no idea. And neither does anyone else.
Sure we have ideas, and the formula is well-known in any form of collectibles: rare and significant in the best condition you can find or afford. Just remember the focus of collecting changes over time in every field, and with it the demand. Q. David Bowers said that with coins (and baseball cards have basically followed coin collecting trends in every major respect--coins have just been around as an organized hobby 120 years longer), the items in fashion in one decade are seldom the same ones as in the next. You have to look for those that are rare and significant in areas that are at present relatively quiet. As I've said before, you want to think a bit outside the box and be on the cutting, rather than trailing edge, unless you've got really big bucks to spend. You're right, Pete, insofar as your post indicates that no one really knows for certain what items are going to explode in value, but using the tools noted above can immensely increase our chances of finding them. It just takes work, but if its your passion, its not work at all!

As to what you consider rare and significant, that is up to you, based on reading, study, research and analysis of both the game of baseball itself, its history, and cards. I have my own ideas as to what items are in for a sizable increase in value when focuses change over time, and frankly don't need the competition for cards that I believe will fall into that category. It was hard enough finally obtaining a 1939 R303A Ted Williams rookie, after being sniped several times with seven seconds or so left in ebay auctions--seems quite a few others were thinking along that line too! Frankly, I was somewhat amazed that I didn't have to pay more for the '39 V351 Williams rookie in the fall PWCC auction, based on my guidelines (I got it for less than half my max bid).

Just my two cents worth,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-19-2016 at 05:17 PM.