View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
One thing about the hobby that I really enjoy is to research pieces in my collection. Not only can it be very rewarding, it doesn't cost ya a dime. Not to mention that the info you dig up can make for great conversations and sometimes even add value to your piece!

I'll kick it off with this Gehrig signed postcard that I got in summer of last year. I was so thrilled just to win this piece I never even gave the hotel that this postcard originates from a second look, until... a couple weeks ago.

I pulled the Gehrig postcard out of the vault and was enjoying it and then it hit me... I wonder what's the story with this Book-Cadillac Hotel?

So after a quick visit to Wikipedia I started reading about the interesting history about this luxury hotel and the Book Brothers whom built it.

Once I hit the third paragraph, I came upon something that flat out stopped me cold and left my jaw hanging open...

"On May 2, 1939, a meeting took place in this lobby between Lou Gehrig and Joe McCarthy, Gehrig told McCarthy to leave him out of the starting line-up ending his 2,130 consecutive games streak."

Now, I will never be able to pinpoint my Gehrig/Jimmy postcard to that fateful day, but it sure as hell makes for a great story!

Let's hear about your research findings.

Attachment 27251Attachment 27252

Further research has led to this letter. Ironic that the letter is from Wm. Chittenden to the Mgr. of the Book-Cadillac Hotel in 1928 and that Chittenden became the Mgr. of the Book-Cadillac at the time Gehrig signed the postcard!
Attachment 27254
WOW! Tremendous research Jimmy!! This takes what is already an unbelievable piece because of the signature (signed to Jimmy, no less!), and moves it into the upper stratosphere as far as historic collectibles go.

Two additional comments:
I may be reaching, but....Is there any chance that William J. Chittenden went by the nickname of Jimmy? What did the "J" stand for if not James or "Jimmy"? .

BTW, the Detroit-Leland building (Cass and Bagley streets where Chittenden was the mgr. in 1928) is still in Detroit. Ironically, it's the parking lot that I use when I attend games up at Detroit Comerica Park. What a coincidence...

Congrats!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-06-2010 at 07:52 AM.