View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 07:44 AM
Steve Birmingham

PSE began grading stamps years ago, I'm not sure if they are or were related to PSA, but they used a slab that was similar to the ones used for coins.

Slabbed stamps got little traction, most stamp collectors prefer an album - maybe something about the 150+ years of albums being the main storage...

I haven't checked, but I think most of the big US expertizers will give grades on the certificate. The same debate about that being a good thing or not had been going on since it became a thing there.

Unlike cards, you can get a certificate just stating if it's genuine or not, and as a bonus listing any flaws spotted at the time it got the certificate. Or you can get that same certificate with a grade. The couple I had a friend send in for me I didn't bother with a grade. I think PF won't grade if a stamp has faults, so the grade is pretty much just centering.

PSA has essentially no traction in the stamp hobby. All I've seen them grade are sports related stamps, and the asking prices are usually pretty well insane. That same Ruth Stamp can be had in full sheets, occasionally for under face value if it's in a bulk lot of "discount postage" basically anything a dealer has too much of (Nearly everything after about 1930 or so.) It's bought in bulk, for under face value, because few people want the nuisance of sticking 8 stamps on a letter. It's also sold in bulk, often for a percentage under face value as well. The ruth stamps usually get pulled out because some dealers have an easier time selling them for more.