View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post
What I see after the bowl games so far is that maybe the SEC West isn't as strong of a conference after all. The only team from the West that won their Bowl game is Texas A&M (a former BIG 12 team).
The conference that seems to get bashed (BIG 10) showed a lot of grit knocking off two of the SEC West teams. The BIG 10 also knocked off the BIG 12 co-champion. Maybe there isn't as big of difference in talent as some are thinking.
That being said I think TCU belonged in the play-off. They certainly played their Bowl game like they belonged. What a statement they made against yet another SEC West team.
Good luck to Oregon and Ohio State.
You could be right about lack of disparity. The SEC certainly didn't show up for bowl season.

Regarding TCU's belonging - this wasn't about getting the best 4, rather it was about getting a legitimate champion. Any team can appear to be the best at the end of the season - just look at all the wild cards in both MLB and the NFL that have gone on to win championships. Perhaps TCU actually is the best team. Perhaps Baylor is...I mean 'was'...and now Michigan State is? If OSU beats Oregon, everyone will say they got it right, except, of course TCU.

If you go to 'best 8', you'll have several teams screaming that they were at least the 8th best team - instead of 2 (Baylor and TCU), you will have 3-4. Look at the NCAA tourney - every time they expanded the field, they simply expanded the number of complaints about getting left out.