View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Steven Finley

There are several experienced collectors that I converse with occasionally who have each, at one point or another, brought up a very interesting point.

They believe that mass-produced 1980's sets will see a revival in about 10-15 years when that generation reaches an age where that feeling of wanting to reconnect with their youth appears. It is a valid point and I can very well see that occurring. Now, they don't believe that a Canseco Donruss RC will hit $75 or a 89 UD Griffey will bring $125 or whatever it used to demand. But instead, sets like 87 Topps that can be had easily for $10 bucks today could command $30-40 in ten years. In hindsight a 200% gain over 10 years wouldn't be a bad return.

Individual stars probably wouldn't witness such an increase but key cards like the Mattingly RC and UD Griffey (cards that the generation coveted but maybe never attained) would see a spiked increase as would complete sets, graded singles, and unopened wax. In my opinion it is a valid point, with the only drawback being the large amount of cards you would have to hoard and store to make the venture worth your while.

And also there is the chance we are just hopelessly optimistic, we drink to much, and such a shift in 80's values will never occur.