View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default 1910 Orange Borders debate and info

Posted By: Joe D.

It is the inside corners of the Niles that are different.

.....This inside difference was most definitely a purposeful design difference. It points to a different issue (either by the same company or another company).

Other things to point out:
..... The name "NILES" has a white knockout shadow to it. This is unique. All other Orange Borders that I have seen either have knockout for the name (Doyle shown) or Black that overprints the Orange or some of the letters in black and some knockout..... but I have never seen Black letters that do not overprint the color below as we see in the NILES. For those who unsure of what I mean by overprinting.... overprinting means that there is orange ink under the black ink. Wether the blank ink lays down or not... you will not notice that it is missing and you will not see where the letters should go.

Evidence backing up what I am saying can be found in Orange Borders cards with poor registration.... although the black may need to move in one direction - it wouldn't matter - you wouldn't see any knockout letters in the card (where the black should be) because the black overprints. The McGraw is an interesting example of black and knockout letters in the same name. The card itself has poor registration. The black needs to move to the right - - - YET we do not see a white "Mc".... which means the black portion of the name is set to overprint the orange. I have seen a bunch of poorly registered Orange Borders - and if there is black type for the name - it has ALWAYS overprinted the orange.

.... As FKW mentioned - we should compare the backs. Comparing these cards in person would be very helpful. Maybe Ben can post the back of the NILES card?

.... The 'whiteness' in general in the NILES card bothers me a bit. The paper used for Orange Borders cards is not white... it is almost cardboard box color. The NILES card has too much whiteness throughout the image. (this of course is better judged in person).

My vote is that these are different issues. Whether or not the same or a different company put out the different issues - I have no idea.