View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Default W502 Back Mystery

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I agree, Todd, I definitely do not think these were hand cut. PSA labels them that way, SGC does not. I've never seen one with a funky cut, I've never seen one hacked away with a jack knife (like you see with a lot of strip cards), and they're all pretty much the same size.

As far as the backs are concerned, I do not think they're stamped. The ink is always applied evenly, unlike most stamped cards where there's usually an area where ink coverage is lighter. Also, the back printing is straight, where a hand stamp is often crooked.

I definitely think these were printed on sheets and machine cut.

What's odd to me is that the backs print in two different directions. It's as if some of the sheets were printed upside down - except if that were the case, the printing would appear in different areas on the card, and from what little data I've been able to gather, it seems like the printing usually appears in the same place.

So far nobody has told me about any prize backs they own, and nobody has told me about any "Three bagger" or "Home Run" backs. I have one "Three Bagger" back.

Although I still don't have enough data to get a feel for scarcity or any other anomalies, right now it appears that there are more blank backs than not. This surprises me.

Any more out there?

-Al