View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Default W502 Back Mystery

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Hi All:

I'm hoping that you guys can help me figure something out.

I've been slowly working on a 1928 W502 set over the last few months. These cards don't come around very often; it seems like everybody has one or two, but except for one friend I have yet to meet anyone who has a significant accumulation of these. So it's been a slow slog, getting through the set. Right now I have about 15 of the 62 cards.

One thing I'm finding is that there's a bit of a mystery about the backs. Perhaps it's because I haven't spoken with the right person yet, but nobody seems to be able to shed any light on the many variations - so I figured I would do it myself.

From what I can see, there may be as many as 18 different back variations of these cards - which is interesting to me, since there seems to be so little interest in these and so little history about how and where they were distributed.

I'm hoping that you folks could chip in and help me out, by checking out any W502s you may have, and then posting in this thread what you see on the back. What I'm looking for is this:

1) Player name and card number
2) What's printed specifically on the back (i.e. "ONE BAGGER - Hold What You Got", "ONE BAGGER", "THREE BAGGER", "HOME RUN", blank back, etc.)
3) What direction the printing is oriented - on some cards, when you flip it over, the printing goes left to right from the bottom to the top of the card. On others, the printing goes from the top to the bottom.

I'm hoping to get an understanding of what cards are out there, what all the different variations are, and if there is any relationship between the player and what's printed on the back.

Feel free to share f/b scans if you like.

Thank you in advance for your help - I'll be sure to publish what I find right here.

Regards,
-Al

Edited for clarity