View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Default D304 Short Prints?

Posted By: robert a

Thanks guys for continuing this discussion.

I agree that Tenny was the toughest (besides herzog and crandall blacked out). I had a trimmed tenny before I traded for a nicer example to complete my player set. Thanks to Joe Jones for that!

Let me reveal the results of the back information that I have been working on for that last couple of years. Next to the players name is the amount of examples reported. I tried to make sure that cards were not calculated twice. I received about 140 different examples from board members. The rest came mostly from auction catalogs.

The one thing I'm a bit wary of is the common use of the title "butter krust" to represent the Fleishmann back. It's very confusing due to both backs having "Butter Krust" in large print. I'm not sure if a few collectors reported Fleishmanns when they were really Brunners, but I tried to confirm with each collector.

Here goes:

Brunners Confirmed

Baker 5
Crandall 4
Barry 4
Bell 5
Bender 3
Chance 3
Chase 7
Cobb 4
Collins 5
Crawford 5
Evers 5
Fletcher 3
Herzog 5
Kelly 4
Lajoie 5
Marquard 4
Mathewson 4
Merkle 3
Meyers 2
O'Toole 4
Rucker 4
Shafer 4
Tenny 4
Wagner 3
Young 5

Fleishmann Confirmed

Baker
Chance 2
Cobb
Collins 2
Crandall
Crawford
Kelly
Lajoie
Mathewson
Rucker
Shafer
Young 2

Martens Confirmed

Baker
Chance (b)
Cobb
Crawford 2
Evers (b) 3
Herzog (b)
Merkle
O'Toole
Rucker

Weber Confirmed

Barry
Bender 2
Chance (b)
Collins
Crandall (b)
Fletcher
Kelly
Marquard 3

General Baking Confirmed

Baker
Crandall (b) 3
Barry
Bender
Chance (b) 2
Chance 3
Chase (b) 3
Cobb 3
Collins
Crawford
Evers (b) 2
Fletcher 3
Herzog (b)
Kelly 2
Lajoie
Marquard 2
Mathewson 4
Merkle
Meyers 4
O'Toole 2
Rucker
Wagner

As far as back rarity goes, my very unofficial list has Weber and Martens virtually tied for the most uncommon backs. Fleishmann is third. G.B. fourth with Brunners as the most common.

Tenny has been reported 4 times where Meyers has been reported only twice with a Brunners back. However, Tenny's run ended after Brunners where Meyers has been reported 4 more times with a G.B. back.

Cards with a Weber back haven't been found with a Martens back except for the anomaly (Chance(b)).

If you guys have cards that aren't represented on the list, especially non-Brunners, feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Robert