View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 03:50 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I know the baseball HOF is different from some sports in that there's no minimum number of players who have to be elected at any time, BUT I think a lot of people would agree that even with the Negro League inductions in the past, these are still players who are not represented equally in the Hall. It would be nice if they mandated at least one player would be inducted with the special once a decade vote. Otherwise it seems like a hollow gesture. There's no way the Negro League players who have been inducted represent the only players worthy of induction.
As a follower of the various HOF Veterans Committees for 40 years an argument could be validly made that there are still many deserving Negro Leaguers not enshrined ( my last count was approximately 25 who could go in ) as well as that many 19th and early 20th century ball players who could also be enshrined. However, I don't think a mandate would help because that was done in the 1970s and then again in 2006 and the HOF doesn't like being told what to do concerning its elections and another mandate I don't think will happen. I also don't hold much hope for many others from those categories / eras because of past voting histories and comments from some HOF members. This has been discussed here previously and the consensus is that something earth-shaking will have to happen to get more players from those 2 categories / eras elected.