View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Respectfully, I am not aware of "very strong evidence" supporting the contention that Barry Halper commissioned or orchestrated any thefts and I was under the impression that one was required to post their own name in order to make such accusations on this site
Here is the article (and yes, I am aware Nash has problems, but that doesn't mean he's not correct re: Halper):

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=1465#more-1465

Halper is a proven liar. He lied to Robert Creamer and said he was pals with Jimmie Foxx when Foxx coached the U of Miami baseball team. Fact is that Foxx was already gone by the time Harper enrolled at the school, and furthermore Halper was never on the baseball team. These are verified, proven lies which Halper told re: his acquisition of the forged "500 HR" autograph sheet (the Ruth auto has also been proven a forgery and a very poor one at that. Halper told conflicting lies about how he acquired that Ruth auto).

There are many other lies Halper peddled which Nash has written about, and these lies have been verified as lies by 3rd parties. His story of acquiring 19th century unis from Ollie O'Mara has been confirmed as a lie by O'Mara's son. In fact, just about every acquisition story ever told by Halper has been proven a lie, such that one assumes the man was fundamentally dishonest and engaged in perpetuating fraud. There are way too many pieces from his collection which are traceable to NYPL and other institutions for him to have been "in the dark" about their provenance. The HOF didn't remove his name from their exhibit because of Peter Nash.

Yes, Halper is dead now, and not available to be cross-examined or held to answer for his lies. But anyone who believes he was himself "duped" or didn't know how much of his stuff was stolen or forged is simply delusional.